Church of Hindeloopen
The Hindeloopen skyline is dominated by its church, called Grote Kerk, visible from many miles away. The old church of Hindeloopen was destroyed during the Eighty Years’ War, in 1570.
Take a look
The Hindeloopen skyline is dominated by its church, called Grote Kerk, visible from many miles away. The old church of Hindeloopen was destroyed during the Eighty Years’ War, in 1570. The church was dedicated to St. Gertrude. It was rebuilt around 1590, and it is from this period that the church tower dates, having been completed in 1593. The church was then altered on a number of occasions, including the expansion in 1632. 1658 saw further expansion to the south, to form a double-nave hall church. Unfortunately, this addition was demolished again in 1892. The round arched windows of the church also originate from that year.
The tower spire was destroyed when lightning struck in 1701. In 1724, the current spire was added as the new crowning glory of the tower. On top of the octagonal spire, you will see a dome with a wind vane in the form of a sailing ship. Claes Piters was responsible for its design. In 1685, a pair of swinging bells were fitted in the tower, manufactured by the Petrus Overney bell foundry in Leeuwarden. Upon liberation following the Second World War, only one of the two bells could be found.
The church is an official national monument due, among other things, to its striking location and visual value, its age, the valuable parts of the interior and its architectonic design.
Search & book