In the graveyard in the village of Snikzwaag there is a wooden bell tower with four-sided dome roof. The bell it houses was cast by L. Haverkamp in 1787. At one time the village had a church but it was demolished in the 19th century.
De oude kerk in het kleine terpdorp Dedgum werd in 1889 gesloopt en nog datzelfde jaar zag de nieuwe het licht, een eenvoudige kerk met een ranke toren. Voor een uitzicht dat reikt tot aan het IJsselmeer mag je de toren beklimmen.
According to the numerical wall anchors on the tower, the church was built in 1716. The tower itself is half-embedded. The people of Lemster call the tower of this church ‘the Lemster tower’. When they can see it in the distance, they know they are home.
The St Maurice church we see in IJlst today was designed by the architect J. Ankringa and built in 1830. The beautifully carved wooden pulpit made in 1672 was originally installed in the previous church on this site, as was the baptismal screen.
This air watchtower is located near Oudemirdum on the Huningspaed near the Jolderenbos, which serves as a reminder of the Cold War period. These air watchtowers were installed all over the Netherlands to spot enemy aircraft.
Before construction of the Afsluitdijk, the ferry between Enkhuizen in Noord-Holland and Stavoren was a very popular connection. You arrived in Stavoren by train, switched to the ferry and could continue to travel by train from Enkhuizen.