Please keep in mind
Are you in or are you planning a visit to Waterland van Friesland? You’ll be made very welcome in our beautiful region. The measures taken to combat the coronavirus may affect your stay. We’ve therefore gathered all the information and guidelines for you, so that you can enjoy Southwest Friesland as safely as possible.
For all the general measures concerning the coronavirus, please check the Dutch government website. We’d also request that you avoid any busy places, that you stay at home if you have a cold or are feeling unwell, and that you keep a 1.5 m distance to anyone who is not part of your household.
Campsites and holiday parks
You are welcome at campsites and holiday parks. Showers and toilets in shared sanitary facilities are open again.
Check out all our campsites and holiday parks here
Hotels are open to guests.
Check out all our hotels here
Bed & breakfasts
Bed & breakfasts are open to guests.
Check out all our bed & breakfasts here
Group accommodation locations are also open to guests.
- Group accommodation may be booked by housemates (shared residential address) or families.
- People from several households may stay the night, however, these people must be able to observe the 1.5 m social distancing rule in the communal areas.
Check out all group accommodation here
In Waterland van Friesland, you can enjoy a holiday on your boat, take a day trip or rent a boat. There are plenty of options for renting a boat while keeping a social distance. Alongside the general guidelines, please take account of the following:
- Bridges and sluice gates are operating normally according to the summer schedule. Click here for the latest opening times.
- The Marrekite ‘free’ moorings found throughout the region are available for use. Click on this map to find them.
- Facilities such as water and electricity in our municipal harbours are open from 20 May.
- The sanitary facilities in our marinas are fully open again.
Check out where boats can be rented, here
Children's sailing cmaps are open again as of 1 July.
Check out al sailing schools here
Why not visit one of our many museums or visitor centres in Waterland van Friesland?
- Museums, theatres and cinemas are open again.
- Buy or book your tickets beforehand by arranging this online, calling or emailing. Museumtickets are available online through the VVV Waterland van Friesland website.
- Guests must always keep a distance of 1.5 metres, unless they are part of a shared household.
- In larger rooms or areas that can house more than 100 people, reservations must be made beforehand and a health check will be conducted.
- The fountains in the eleven famous Frisian cities, the so-called 11fountains, can be admired daily during the summer months.
Check out all the museums here
Food and drinks
Enjoy delicious food and drinks at your holiday address by having food delivered, or grab a spot at an outdoor café or a meal at one of our restaurants or (gastro)pubs.
- Outdoor cafés, pubs and restaurants have reopened. Guests must always keep a distance of 1.5 metres, unless they are part of a shared household. Everyone has a designated seat and must comply with the hygiene measures.
- The size of the restaurant, pub or outdoor café determines how many people can be seated. Restaurants, cafés and bars must use reservations (made either in advance or at the door) and pre-entry health checks.
- Customers must be asked to provide their names and contact details so that the municipal health service (GGD) can contact them if an outbreak is traced to that establishment. Customers can voluntarily provide this information.
- Make your booking beforehand by arranging this online, calling or emailing, because the number of seats is limited
- Many restaurants, pubs and outdoor cafés have their own additional (hygiene) rules. Always follow instructions given by the staff.
Cycling and rambling
- Hundreds of cycling and rambling routes await you if you observe the 1.5 m social distancing rule.
- The dedicated cycling and rambling ferry boats are in service.
- Toilets are open for cyclists and ramblers.
Places to rest are open for a cup of coffee. They are allowed to open their toilets to cyclists and ramblers.
Check out the cycling and rambling routes here
Events can once again be organised, as long as the activity is based on the 1.5 metre distancing rule. Local authorities are free to determine whether events can be organised within the set conditions. Many events will still not take place.
Check out the events calender
Other recreational options
- Our beaches, Frisian lakes, parks and woodlands are open to visitors. The corona measures also apply when out enjoying the countryside.
- Swimming pools are open.
- Indoor play areas and theme parks may open once they have drawn up a suitable protocol. We suggest you check the current situation of each individual indoor play area or theme park.
- All seats are available.
- A on-medical face mask must be worn, as it is very difficult to observe the 1.5 m social distancing rule.
- Avoid peak periods.
We hope this information will help you plan your visit to Waterland van Friesland. Any questions? Please feel free to contact us!
This information and the guidelines were drawn up on 7 August 2020 and will be updated by us weekly. No rights may be derived from this information.